Rezoning Applications

A zoning change (also known as a Zoning By-law amendment or rezoning) may be required to use or develop a property in a way that is not allowed by the Zoning By-law. Council approval is required, but a change can only be considered if the new use is allowed by the Town's Official Plan.

Applying for a Zoning By-law Amendment

Before submitting an application to amend the Zoning By-law, it is important to first consult with Town Planning staff for advice and information. The Town requires a completed application, including all fees, at the time the application is submitted.

Applications are circulated to Town departments as well as interested external agencies and departments for comment. A significant public input process is also required.

When considering a Zoning By-law amendment, Council evaluates the application based on specific criteria, including:

  • Conformity with the official plan and compatibility with adjacent uses of land
  • Suitability of the land for the proposed purpose, including the size and shape of the lot(s) being created
  • Adequacy of vehicular access, water supply, sewage disposal
  • The need to ensure protection from potential flooding

After hearing all comments and concerns, Council may decide to pass, change or reject the proposed by-law amendment. Subsequent to any decision, there is the right to appeal to the Ontario Municipal Board.

Additional Information